Dakshina/Daniel Phoenix Singh Dance Company (based in Washington DC) is currently recruiting a strong male dancer with a solid background in modern dance and/or ballet and release technique for a 12-18 month contract starting August 2016. Dakshina has a multi-year partnership with the Sokolow foundation in restaging Anna Sokolow’s iconic modern dance works, works with Bharata Natyam (a South Asian classical dance form), and synthesizes the two forms in a unique three prong approach to dance. To get a thorough introduction to our work, please watch these videos:
We are looking for an energetic, committed, professional, and positive dancer. Artistic director Singh creates within 1) contemporary, and modern dance genres, 2) classical South Asian dance, and 3) synthesizing these forms in a unique signature movement style. Dancer must be interested in working with our educational outreach program in area schools and communities. In addition, the dancer must work well in a group, and be interested and willing to study other techniques such as Bharata Natyam and Social Dance forms. Experience in other dance forms is a definite plus. Dakshina strongly encourages minority dancers to audition to work with the company, and seeks dancers who speak Spanish to expand our bilingual dance program.
Rehearsals are from 7:00 to 11:00 Mondays and Wednesdays in Silver Spring (close to DC; metro accessible). Dancers will take class at Maryland Youth Ballet from 7:15 to 8:45 and rehearsals will continue till 11 pm each Monday and Wednesday. A third rehearsal night will also be added, depending on the various scheduling needs of the company and dancers. Interested candidates must be able to commit to at least 12 months to be considered. All performances and travel expenses are paid, and dancers receive a rehearsal stipend. The company has several local, national and international performance opportunities in the upcoming months along with a strong outreach program in area schools and community centers.
Dakshina received the Dance Metro DC Founder’s Award for Innovation in 2007, and Emerging Group and Excellence in Costume in 2008. Dakshina toured India and Bangladesh in 2009/2010 and the company was one of two US-based dance companies to be invited to participate in the Maximum India Festival in 2011 at the Kennedy Center in DC. In 2012, the Sokolow Foundation’s restaging of Lyric Suite on Dakshina was selected as one of the top three local dance events of the year. We are a fun, vibrant, and exciting group to dance with, and use a collaborative work approach–Email us today to get started!
· Dancers can audition in person before July 15th, or during the first week of August, at Maryland Youth Ballet in Downtown Silver Spring. Day and time TBD, email firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire. Please include your resume, availability to attend an audition, and pictures with headshot and full body shots.
· Dancers can also audition by video at any time. Please email email@example.com and include your resume, pictures with headshots and full body shots, and a link to videos of modern dance work. One video should be in a performance setting, 3-5 minutes, either group or solo are ok. For the second video, please create a 1-minute modern dance phrase and film yourself dancing it in the studio.
LOCATION DETAILS for In-Person Audition:
Maryland Youth Ballet
926 Ellsworth Drive
Silver Spring MD 20910
For more details, see our website:
You haven’t done it yet? Support Us!
Get the latest auditions on Facebook! LIKE US
Photo by Stephen Baranovics
extra search keywords: america, usa, us, modern dance
Latest posts by admin (see all)
- Compagnie Linga is Looking for 3 Contemporary Dancers (M/F) - August 16, 2017
- Cambridge Youth Dance Program Company Auditions - August 15, 2017
- Technique and Improvisation Workshop with Judith Sánchez Ruiz - August 15, 2017